Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Video #6 - Sabar Kids

This is at my teacher's family compound. Check out the kid on the right!!!!!! That's my teacher's voice reciting sabar rhythms. The kid on the right is barely 3. When the family goes and plays concerts, the lead drum sits on a chair. The 3 yr old sits with it on the chair so it doesn't slide off. Talk about getting ideas drummed into your head! The kid on the left is older but doesn't have it as internalized because he was born in Gambia and has only been in Dakar hearing this stuff for a year or so. Incredible!

5 comments:

Kris Tiner said...

holy shit!

Harris Eisenstadt said...

i'm saying...

Mike Baggetta said...

Dudebro, I am digging these videos! Keep them coming! #6 puts my childhood to shame...

Kris Tiner said...

showed this and some of the others to my students at BC today... they're excited to hear about it in person...

Harris Eisenstadt said...

great. psyched to be up there for the day... hows kim? whats the latest?