Friday, September 12, 2008

It's not The Wire, but it is The Shield

What can I say? Is it just post-partum from The Wire that makes me feel lukewarm about season 6 of The Shield so far? Its entertaining, make no mistake. I guess its nostalgia from living in LA for six years, because it's nice to see the streets of "Farmington," the fabricated LA neighborhood that's really some kind of conglomerate of Boyle Heights, Lincoln Heights, downtown LA, Echo Park, Glassell Park, and a dozen other east side neighborhoods, in action. The hand-held camera-work is riveting, the storylines complex and fairly virtuosic. The acting is mixed, some of the writing is great and some is so-so. Not that it'll stop me from making my way thru the season. Is there anyone out there who can really say they prefer it to The Wire? No way....

No comments: